Monday 8 July 2013

Crocheted Nudibranch



The idea for creating these began when I wanted to send a birthday present to a good friend of mine in the UK. She is a keen diver and a Nudibranch lover. If you check out the link, you'll see why - they are gorgeous, magical wee creatures and there are so many variations. 


Chromodoris elizabethina
So, I began by making one for my friend. I thought it would be more fun if it was able to be worn or be interactive in some way so I made it as a finger puppet. There are many patterns on the internet for nudibranch, believe it or not, but I prefer the challenge of making it up as I go along. Of course, when I finished the first one, I couldn't stop there. I had to make one for myself.  Then I couldn't resist making another design and then another.... There are so many colour, shape and pattern variations in nature that it's like trying to choose between lollies in a sweet shop. 


Hypselodoris apolegma














I started with relatively simple designs and I initially kept them all a similar size, as one-finger puppets. Gradually, however, I wanted to be able to add more detail so I needed to increase the size of them.

Chromodoris kuniei
Hermissenda crassicornis








Nembrotha kubaryana


This one is slightly larger and is a two-finger puppet. Additional detailing is added with embroidery.

I try to be accurate with colour combinations and main features so that they are recognisable against their real-life models.


Hypselodoris kaname


Hypselodoris Bennetti
Of course I got more ambitious and wanted to be more accurate and so the next one was even bigger still. This one is a hand puppet and so it took a lot longer to complete but it is very interactive and fun to play with. It has also given the anemone, that I created "accidentally" while experimenting with knitting techniques a couple of years ago, something to hang out with.



10 comments:

  1. woooooow, is amazing chance I would love to do it will have some pattern? I would really appreciate it my e-mail is willow9876@hotmail.com, or if you sell plis tell me how

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love to hear back from us until you tire of demands for a pattern or two, lol. I am too new to crochet to figure this out on my own as you did, so add me to the list of people willing to pay for the patterns. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, haha, although I never tire from compliments. I tend to crochet "free-style", that is, make it up as I go along... so it could be an "interesting" exercise to see if I can actually create a pattern... and one that anyone else could follow. I shall keep it in mind and keep you posted. :D

      Delete
  3. Do you sell these beautiful creations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I have had plans to make and sell them as I have lots of great comments however I have only sold a few directly to people I know. I've just been so busy preparing for exhibitions. If you are still interested, let me know your email address (I wont publish it here) and we could talk more. Thanks for your interest.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I collect nudibranchs and my passion is marine science, but have no idea how to knit or crochet. Is there any chance you would make me a set of these? I'd be very happy to pay whatever you think is fair. I know they must take time so I am willing to wait. These are the most accurate ones I have seen yet. Is there a way I could email you or send you my email without posting publicly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mabels, Thanks for your interest. If you reply to this message and give me your email address we can then discuss this privately. I am notified whenever someone posts a comment and therefore I won't "publish" your message with your email address. I shall look forward to hearing from you.

      Delete
  5. I can't believe I stumbled upon these wonderful creations! My wife is a huge fan of nudibranchs and I'd love to gift her one of these for her December birthday. Particularly love the Nembrotha kubaryana. If this is something you are interested in and have time for, please let me know. alwatson(at)(pdx)(dot)[edu]

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your feedback or comments. Thanks for visiting! Please remember to credit tonihartillart.blogspot.com when sharing or using any of my images or information.